Saturday, November 27, 2010

The End of an Era

So on Wednesday (before Thanksgiving) I finished my 3rd and final 8 week full-time internship as a physical therapy student. The next time I have patients I will be a fully licensed, board-certified, practicing physical therapist!!!! Um yea, I'm excited!

This was me way back in 2008 at the White Coat Ceremony as I began my journey through PT school.

I really enjoyed my last clinical rotation and I thought I'd take the time to talk a little about the facility and how it touched my heart. First off, it's an out-patient pediatric facility and I'm in love with kids (perfect match, I know). There were some hard times and some difficult patients but I can honestly say, that I loved gaining the trust of the kids I was treating and their families. 

With kids, you really feel like you are a part of the family since you see most of these kids for 6-12 months at a time. I loved learning what they liked, what their quirks were and how to "trick" each kid into doing the work and exercises I needed them to do :) It was honestly the most challenging clinical rotation I had. 

Below is a YouTube video created by therapists and staff at the facility. I think it gives really good insight into what the facility is all about and what it's goals are and how it's helped so many children.


OH and I forgot the HORSES (I know, how do I forget eight 2000lb animals I dealt with for at least 4 hours a day). I loved working with the kids on the horses. I had heard of hippotherapy prior to this rotation but it was really great to be there and work hands-on for eight weeks with these amazing animals and see the improvements in the kids. Such a blessing!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Amanda. I arrived here by chance but will come back for sure. I'm following you.

    http://wedding-planner-costa-azzurra.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete