Wednesday, January 12, 2011

True Confession Thursday (on a Wednesday): I'm an impulse buyer!

The truth is I'm the type of person that will buy something I like on an impulse (TJ Maxx and Target being my greatest downfalls) or I'll dwell on something and talk myself out of it...and then go buy it the next day when I've regained me senses and talked myself back into buying it! I truly overanalyze everything.

Well, my most recent impulse buy has been the Scentsy flameless fragrant system. I recently had only first heard about these products from my aunt and cousin on Christmas Eve. It sounded interesting but really, aren't all candle warmers the same?

I now know different! While we were staying in Alamogordo, NM with some of Stephen's family, I noticed, for several days in fact, a fragrance that permeated throughout the entire house. I was so confused because the scent was so strong for the entire day. I literally thought someone was spraying cologne continuously because the fragrance was that strong.

Then at dinner one night I noticed it. Sitting on the kitchen counter, looking rather inconspicuous but intriguing. There it was...a full size warmer. I immediately thought I had made the connection. So I asked the woman of the house if it was in deed what I had decided it to be. Alas, I was correct (hell, I should be a detective). Anyway she said yep it was Scentsy and her oldest daughter had outfitted her with the warmer and a dozen or so blocks of the scent. She pulled the bag down full of the scent bricks and I was immediately smitten. The bright colors and the creative names of the fragrances had me immediately thinking, "I need a computer with internet to order this stuff." So there's my first impulsive behavior, I literally would have purchased this stuff that night had a computer been available to me.

Then, she whipped out (drum roll please....) the catalog. I perused that catalog several times, dreaming about what warmer I would buy and what scents I would purchase.

All this went down probably last Wednesday or Thursday. We left Alamogordo on Sunday morning and when we arrived at our hotel in Albuquerque on Sunday afternoon, guess what... We got the wireless from the hotel and I got online and got my own Scentsy collection before we had even finished unpacking!

Here are my buys:

The warmer: Scentsy has a fabulous collection of warmers, surely something for everyone. Initially, Stephen and I decided we wanted this beauty:
 But when I found this one, name Socorro, I decided it had to be fate and I was sold. You see Socorro is a small town somewhere between Albuquerque and Alamogordo where we stopped for lunch on our way down to Alamogordo. I had to get it as a reminder of this trip!


Essentially, the "warmer" is a base with a dish on top. Within the base houses a light bulb. You can see the glow from the bulb somewhat in the image above. Anyway there is a cord on the back of the warmer that attaches to an outlet and ultimately powers the lightbulb. You place the scentsy bars/bricks in the dish. The heat from the lightbulb melts the bars and the scent fills up the space. It's pure pleasure!

Now to possibly the hardest part... deciding on the scents.

Scentsy has several money-saving combination packs. Generally the warmers are $30 and each scent block is $5. Well I purchased a combination pack that gave you one warmer and 3 scent blocks, which added up to a $5 dollar savings. Sign me up!

So I had to pick out 3 scents. This truly is difficult as they have (I'm not exaggerating) dozens of scents. They try to make the decision easier by grouping the scents into categories:
  • Newborn Nursery Collection
  • Bakery Collection (includes all the yummy cakes and cookies and pies)
  • Fall and Winter Collection (always a favorite of mine)
  • Romance Collection
  • Scentsy Cafe Collection
  • Scentsy Man Collection (smells like your husband's favorite cologne)
  • Spa Collection
  • Tropical Collection
I couldn't decide on just three so I bought another combination pack (buy 3 blocks for $14 a savings of $1)
Here's what I ultimately decided on:

1.) Vanilla Oak: Simple and classic blend of smooth French vanilla and woody oak
 2. Flirtatious: Fruity and vibrant, a combination of green apple, grapefruit, and white amber.
 3. Echo: Sophisticated, metropolitan fragrance of manly spice notes, Mediterranean citrus and herbs, and bitter orange.
 4. White Sands: Night-blooming jasmine softened by coconut milk and rice, enveloped in the gentlest breeze. This purchase was another homage to our current trip as we visited the White Sands National Park! I couldn't pass it up: White Sands fragrance in a Socorro warmer....what a great method for commemorating our trip.
 5. Cranberry Mango: A mélange of tropical mango, cozy cranberry and spicy pineapple

Sadly, I can't remember the 6th scent! I've been perusing their site and everything looks delicious and I just can't remember which I would have chosen.

Anyway, all of the scent names and descriptions come straight from their website here.

I ordered my system on Sunday and my mom called to tell me yesterday (Tuesday) that it had arrived! Talk about fast turn-around. I'm super excited to get home and give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment