Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What you don't know....

 ....just gives you an excuse to learn more!

I've learned a lot about New Mexico while on our little trip. I thought I'd share some of the state's oddities (or at least what I found to be odd) with you on this cold Tuesday evening.

1. New Mexico has some pretty freaking awesome geography!
  • There are mountains literally everywhere. They really frame out the landscape and make long drives across the state no so boring.
  • There are "lava fields" in the middle of the southern part of the state. When you're driving you can see the ground is darker for miles and it's lava that has cooled (obviously) thousands of years ago but still remains in the area.
You can see the lava formation in this pic just to (you're) left of the pavilion.

The darkness in the image to the right is the black cooled lava.
  • The white sands I mentioned in the last post. It's just crazy, I really need to figure out why and how they are there, it's just too crazy. Miles upon miles of clear white sand in the middle of the desert at the base of the mountains. It all just makes me only imagine what New Mexico's natural history must have been like.

2.  There are "trading posts" everywhere. These places are basically just hole-in-the-wall joints that sell various antique and new turquoise and sterling silver jewelry. Turquoise is big here. And I couldn't resist. I have to admit I did pick up a turquoise ring and a pair of earrings I'm proud of! I was told the earrings were Zuni (a local Native American tribe). I'm just going to go on and believe that I was told the truth about the jewelry! Honestly though, the jewelry is amazing, I just hope that I can integrate these pieces into my mid-east wardrobe.
 
This was a popular style I saw throughout the various shops.

 

The ring I bought was similar (and I say that VERY loosely) as it had a single large turquoise stone with some ridging around the edges. The ridging on mine isn't as pronounced. I loved the visual impact and the size of the stone.

3. There are random picnic tables on the side of the road, all over. These tables are hilarious and just pop out of the shoulder of the road all over. I don't know who would want to pull over in the middle of the desert for a picnic, but I guess if the moment strikes...it's there.


4. It gets cold! And I mean like, grab a coat, get a scarf, brrrr it's cold! Granted it's January but it's also the Southwest and when I think Southwest I think hot, adobe buildings and the burning sun and the desert. Not jackets and chilling winds. And so far, everyday we've been in Albuquerque (which is further north) there have been school closings for snow fall! I was floored!

Well, that's all I got right now. I hope you have enjoyed reading about our southwest adventures as much as we've had.

No comments:

Post a Comment