Sunday, April 4, 2010

Get Thee to a Farmer's Market

Since Mr. Chicken Butt has subscribed to NetFlix, we find ourselves constantly watching movies from genres we otherwise probably never would've picked up at Blockbuster and those that you probably wouldn't be able to find at a RedBox. Our latest find: Food Inc.



I've never come across information that's made me want to change what I eat and where I get the food I eat. This film is a must-see documentary depicting how the meat industry mostly (but also food in general) is run in America and how its affecting us, the food we eat, the farmer's that grow it and the planet we are living on. Honestly guys, it's not one of those docs that's far left wing propoganda (I can't stand those either)-heck, they even promote Wal-Mart (crazy, I know but you'll have to watch to figure out how that fits in).

After Stephen and I watched the film we took a long walk in the middle of the night and discussed everything we had seen and how we wanted to change where we got our food. We're excited about farmer's markets, buying beef in large quantities from local cattle farmers, possibly planting our own garden, and baking a lot of the things we can't grow, rather than wasting money and using unneccessary packaging. I think this film is great to watch because it's not an end all be all, doom and gloom kinda flick, instead it tells you what's wrong with the system and how you can operate within it and still make good choices that potentially could make a difference, even if just a local one.

No comments:

Post a Comment